eUtility Billing FAQs
Here are some instructions to help you navigate the Invoice Cloud site:
1. How do I use the e-bill feature?
It is very simple. Here are the three steps you can take:
- The customer receives an email notification or accesses their account via the City of Apple Valley website by clicking on the “eUtility Billing” link.
- The customer locates and views their bill and either enters payment information for a One Time Payment or registers to schedule a payment.
- The customer receives an email confirmation with their payment amount and payment process date.
2. Do I need to register to pay a bill?
No, you need to register to receive electronic bills by email, but registration is not required for One Time Payments. One Time Payments require that you enter your account and payment information each time you make a payment. By registering, you avoid that step and gain access to your payment history.
3. Why should I register to pay a bill?
By registering, you have access to your bills and all of the features of the payment portal. These features include the ability to view current bills, see previous bills and payment dates, access the online customer service system, go paperless, schedule payments for a specific dates, and sign up for Auto-Pay. You also avoid having to enter your payment information each time you pay a bill.
4. How do I register?
Click here for step-by-step instructions on how to Register Your Account.
5. Do I have to enter an email address to make a payment?
Yes, an email address is required for payment confirmation. A payment receipt is sent via email.
6. When I try to pay my bill, it asks for credit card information and I want to pay by electronic check.
Under “How would you like to pay” go to the drop-down box and choose EFT Check.
7. Will I receive a confirmation email that my bill has been paid?
Yes, you will receive a confirmation email.
8. How do I find my account number to log in?
You will need both your 8-digit customer number and 10-digit account number which can be found on your bill. Be sure to include all leading zeroes when entering your numbers. You can also call Utility Billing at 952-953-2522 for that information.
9. I forgot my password, how do I find it?
Click on “Forgotten Password?” at the bottom of the login screen.
10. What forms of payment can I use?
You can pay by credit or debit card (the City accepts Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express), or you may issue an electronic check from your bank account (checking or savings).
11. Can I still send in a paper check?
Yes. Checks can be sent to:
City of Apple Valley Utilities
7100 147th St West
Apple Valley, MN 55124
12. What are the costs for paying online?
There are no signup costs, subscription fees, or transaction fees.
13. How will I know that my payment has been accepted?
After you submit your payment, you will see a payment confirmation screen which you may print for your records. It will contain your payment confirmation message. You will also receive a confirmation email after your transaction is submitted. The email will include your account number, amount paid, and confirmation message.
14. Can I use more than one payment method per transaction?
Yes, you may use one payment method for part of the transaction and another payment method for other parts of the transaction.
15. How long does it take for a credit card transaction to process if I pay online?
Credit card transactions typically take 48 hours to settle. An authorization is issued immediately, and a pending payment will be shown on your account almost immediately; however, it takes 48 hours for the money to be transferred.
16. How long does it take for an electronic check/EFT (electronic funds transfer) transaction to process if I pay online?
EFT transactions typically take 48 – 72 hours to settle.
17. Why did I get a paperless registration email?
Going paperless is a two-step process, after receiving the paperless registration email, you must go to the Confirm button in the email to complete the process. If you prefer not to go paperless, simply do not complete the registration (by viewing the link in the email). You will get one reminder email, but if you don’t complete the registration at that time, the paperless enrollment will be canceled. You may also go to Paperless Options in your account profile and view “cancel registration”.
18. What information do I need to make a payment?
If you are registered, the only information you need to have available to complete a payment transaction is your email address and password. If you make a One Time Payment, then you will also need your bank account or credit card information and your customer & account numbers.
19. When can I pay?
You can make payment or review your account 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. It is always a good idea to pay or schedule a payment at least a few days before the due date to allow for processing time.
20. Can I tell if my payment has been posted?
Yes, simply login to your account and select "View paid or closed invoices". If you are a registered customer, you will receive an email notification.
21. Will I have online access to my account?
Yes, you will have 24/7 access to your account for bill review, make a payment and payment history.
22. Will I be able to print a copy of my bill?
Yes, although electronic storage is recommended because it saves paper and has a beneficial impact on our environment.
23. What is Auto-Pay?
If you elect to opt in to Auto-Pay, it means that your bills will be paid automatically on the due date using your default credit card or bank account. This will avoid any late fees and free you from having to remember when to pay.
24. Can I cancel Auto-Pay?
Yes, simply go into your profile and uncheck the auto-pay box that you had previously checked when you elected to opt into Auto-Pay.
25. I signed up for Auto-Pay but do not see any information under "My scheduled payments".
The Auto Pay date will not appear under scheduled payments. Auto Pay will be debited from the customer’s account on the due date.
26. What are scheduled payments?
Scheduled payments are scheduled individually by you for each bill on your specified date.
27. Can I schedule payments?
Yes. You can set up a future payment at any time prior to the bill due date.
28. Can I change a scheduled payment?
Yes, as long as it is changed before the date it was scheduled to be paid.
29. What is a partial payment?
A partial payment occurs when only part of a bill is paid. The City of Apple Valley allows partial payments.
30. What is the difference between auto-pay and a scheduled payment?
Auto-pay is an automated process which pays your balance in full each billing cycle on the due date; scheduled payments are manually entered by you for the date and amount you choose for each bill.
31. Who do I contact with questions about a bill?
If you are unable to find the information you need in your online payment history or open bills, please call Apple Valley Utility Billing at 952-953-2522.
32. If I have additional questions or am having trouble registering, who should I call?
Please call Apple Valley Utility Billing at 952-953-2522.
Your information is secure at all times. All of your financial information is Payment Card Industry (PCI) Compliant. This includes truncating (abbreviating) account numbers so that even the City of Apple Valley does not see your complete account information.
34. What is PCI Compliance and why is it so important?
PCI stands for Payment Card Industry, and compliance with the industry standards is a requirement for those that accept major credit cards and for software providers who have applications which involve the transmission and/or storage of credit card information. If breaches are found on systems that are not PCI compliant, the major credit card companies have the ability to levy significant fines on the offending parties.
35. Who has access to my utility account?
You and City of Apple Valley authorized staff. No one will have access to your financial information as all check routing numbers and credit card numbers are truncated, so you never have to worry about security.
36. When does a lockout message occur?
To prevent unauthorized access to customer accounts (and as required for Payment Card Industry (PCI) compliance), an escalating timeout and lockout procedure is in place. This security feature is triggered by repeated failed logins. If you get a lockout message while attempting to login, you should contact the City of Apple Valley.