Demolition Building & Pool
PROCEDURE FOR DEMOLITION PERMITS
- All buildings must be inspected by a U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) accredited inspector. A copy of the inspector’s report is required with the demolition permit application.
- Contractor is required to send the Notification of Intent to Perform a Demolition (See Related Documents) to the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA) Asbestos Program. This Notification Form must be sent ten working days before the demolition begins. If you have questions, please contact the MPCA at 651-296-6300.
- If a well is being removed, a permit is required from Dakota County. You may contact them via e-mail. The well must be sealed before any demolition begins.
- An application for a demolition permit shall be submitted to the City of Apple Valley. The application must include:
- Copy of the EPA inspector’s report
- Copy of the completed Notification of Intent to Perform a Demolition form
- If a well is removed, submit a copy of the County permit
- A site plan showing buildings to be removed
- Location of sewer and water services to the building(s).
- Demolition permits will not be issued until all documents are submitted and approved by the Building Official and/or Engineering.
- Septic system removal requires a separate SSTS permit. An inspection must be scheduled (with the City) to witness the pumping of effluent and removal of a septic tank. Contact Building Inspections at 952-953-2588 if you have further questions.
REQUIREMENTS FOR FILLING IN AN IN-GROUND POOL
- Apply online at the City of Apple Valley online permitting website under the “Building – Plan Review Required (Residential)” subhead, select “Demolition (Total Removal of House or Pool).”
- You will need a survey for this project. For many addresses in the City of Apple Valley, the City already has the lot survey on file. To request a copy, please send an e-mail. The survey will be forwarded to you. Draw the pool and accessory building locations that will be demolished with this permit on the survey and upload this survey with your plans to ProjectDox.
- An electrical permit is required for termination of the power supply. This permit application can also be completed at the City of Apple Valley online permitting website under the “Electrical – Residential” subhead, select “Alter/Remodel – 1 Trip Project.”
- A mechanical permit is required for disconnection of a gas line. This permit application can also be completed at the City of Apple Valley online permitting website under the “HVAC/Mechanical – Residential” subhead, select “Gas Line Only.”
- All metal walls, vinyl liners, and any pool equipment shall be removed and properly disposed of.
- All concrete shall be removed and disposed of offsite. No construction debris shall be buried on the property.
- Only clean fill may be deposited on the site and properly compacted to control settlement.
- Vegetation must be established on the site when work is complete, per City of Apple Valley ordinance.
- A pool demolition may require a separate NRMP (Natural Resources Permit). Complete this permit application at the City of Apple Valley online permitting website under the “NRMP – Plan Review Required – Residential” subhead, select “Natural Resources (NRMP) – Residential.” Contact our Natural Resources department at 952-953-2464 for more information.